March 8th, 2017
Spelling: None today.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: None today due to the half day schedule.
Writing: Students worked on prewriting conferences and drafting their novel today. Our current project is our final fiction piece of the year. Each student has a daily writing goal of 200-400 words. The novel project is due Wednesday, March 29. Look below for more details. Your student should be drafting at this point. Homework is work on writing for at least 15 minutes.
Novel Writing Project 2017
The final piece of the 3rd Marking Period will be our final fiction project of the year. Students will write and publish a novel. Each student will write their own novel, with a word goal minimum of 2,000-4,000 words, based on their reading level (each student’s minimum writing goal is equal to their reading level multiplied by 500). The novels will be written in Google Docs (docs.google.com) to make use of the word count feature. Final novels will be uploaded to Lulu.com and published as paperback books, which can be purchased for reasonable prices. So yes, students will actually write and publish their own novels. This project is based on the National Novel Writing Month Young Writers program.
Math: We practiced finding the rule in a data set of numbers. Students also practiced order of operations skills again today using MobyMax Math. Homework is to practice math for at least 15 minutes using MobyMax Math or Khan Academy.
Science: None today due to the half day schedule.
Social Studies: None today due to the half day schedule.
- Spring conferences are March 7-9. Here is the schedule.
- Light Larry practice and performance times:
- Monday, March 13 and Wednesday, March 15
- Monday, March 20, Wednesday, March 22, Thursday, March 23
- Monday, March 27
- The performance is Tuesday, March 28
- Have you set a Daily Homework Time for your student? Consider 15 minutes of math, 15 minutes of writing, and 20 minutes of something else to make a brain smarter!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.