March 17th, 2017
Spelling: We reviewed homophones and common long /e/ spelling patterns today.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: We used this time to talk about character strengths and how thinking about others and building good friendships makes people happier and healthier.
Writing: Students worked on drafting their novel today. Our current project is our final fiction piece of the year. Each student has a daily writing goal of 200-400 words. The novel project is due Wednesday, March 29. Look below for more details. Your student should be drafting at this point and have reached about 75% of their word goal; you can check JupiterGrades to see how much your student has completed (updated today). Homework is work on writing for at least 15 minutes.
Novel Writing Project 2017
The final piece of the 3rd Marking Period will be our final fiction project of the year. Students will write and publish a novel. Each student will write their own novel, with a word goal minimum of 2,000-4,000 words, based on their reading level (each student’s minimum writing goal is equal to their reading level multiplied by 500). The novels will be written in Google Docs (docs.google.com) to make use of the word count feature. Final novels will be uploaded to Lulu.com and published as paperback books, which can be purchased for reasonable prices. So yes, students will actually write and publish their own novels. This project is based on the National Novel Writing Month Young Writers program.
Math: We practiced using rules to build tables of numbers at Khan Academy. Homework is to practice math for at least 15 minutes using MobyMax Math or Khan Academy, focusing especially on algebraic thinking skills at Khan Academy, or order of operations at MobyMax.
Science: None today.
Social Studies: We used this time to learn how Irish culture has shown up in American dancing and music.
- Light Larry practice and performance times:
- All the remaining practices are dress rehearsals.
- Monday, March 20, Wednesday, March 22, Thursday, March 23.
- Monday, March 27
- The performance is Tuesday, March 28
- Have you set a Daily Homework Time for your student? Consider 15 minutes of math, 15 minutes of writing, and 20 minutes of something else to make a brain smarter!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.