November 8th, 2017
Spelling: None today.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 25, 26, 29 are available and are due Friday. We also had a cursive quiz today.
Reading: Today was a reading day in Literature Circles. Students read dramas and wrote notes about their thinking. Some groups worked on making connections about things the text reminded them of.
Writing: We talked again today about how to make characters seem real by adding realistic sounding talking and actions. Nice characters should sound nice. Mean characters should say mean things.
Students also worked on prewriting. Our next piece of writing is a fiction story due Monday, November 27. Your student should be finishing prewriting at this point. Homework is to work on writing for 15 minutes and to finish prewriting.
Math: We practiced using place value to compare numbers today at Khan Academy.
Science: We learned about how the moon’s revolution around the earth changes how the moon looks in our sky. Moon phases change in a pattern that lasts about a month.
Social Studies: We talked about how proactive students stop and think after something difficult happens.
- Fall conferences are November 14-16. View, signup or edit your conference time here.
- Have you helped your student plan a Daily Homework Time? This is a daily (Monday through Thursday) time of 40 minutes for students to work on math, writing, math facts, cursive, or other homework. Maybe it’s right after school, or at 5 pm, or right after dinner. The idea is that your student is working each day on something to make them smarter. Here is a sample schedule and more ideas.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at Jupiter Ed.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.