November 10th, 2017
Spelling: We reviewed the idea that idioms are phrases that have a hidden meaning. We also reviewed common spelling patterns for the long /i/ sound.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 25, 26, 29 are available and were due today.
Reading: We finished reading a drama about a frog princess today. Today was reading skills practice day using MobyMax.
Writing: We talked about writing visual details to show what the setting looks like. Students also worked on drafting. Our next piece of writing is a fiction story due Monday, November 27. Your student should be drafting at this point and should have about half a page typed. Homework is to work on writing for 15 minutes if needed.
Math: Today was a day to catch up on any unfinished place value skills at Khan Academy.
Science: Students worked on the Space Fashion Show (more details and a sample script). The Space Fashion Show is our final project of our space unit. Students are working in groups to write a fashion show script that tells about the sun, moon, or earth (click here to find your student’s group script). One student from each group will “model” a costume of the sun, moon, or earth. The Space Fashion Show is Tuesday, November 21 at 2 pm in the small gym. Family members are invited!
Social Studies: None today.
- Fall conferences are November 14-16. View, signup or edit your conference time here.
- Have you helped your student plan a Daily Homework Time? This is a daily (Monday through Thursday) time of 40 minutes for students to work on math, writing, math facts, cursive, or other homework. Maybe it’s right after school, or at 5 pm, or right after dinner. The idea is that your student is working each day on something to make them smarter. Here is a sample schedule and more ideas.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at Jupiter Ed.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.