February 26th, 2019
Spelling: None this week due to working on our Leadership Notebooks.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due Fridays.
Reading: We read more of our class play script today.
Writing: Students continued to
Novel Writing Project 2019
The final piece of the 3rd Marking Period will be our final fiction project of the year. Students will write and publish a novel. Each student will write their own novel, with a word goal minimum of 1,000-4,000 words, based on their reading level (each student’s minimum writing goal is equal to their reading level multiplied by 500). The novels will be written in Google Docs (docs.google.com) to make use of the word count feature. Final novels will be uploaded to Lulu.com and published as paperback books, which can be purchased for reasonable prices. So yes, students will actually write and publish their own novels. This project is based on the National Novel Writing Month Young Writers program.
Math: We started our next topic today, fractions. We worked on adding and subtracting fractions visually using fraction pictures. Homework on weekdays is to practice math for 15 minutes using MobyMax or Khan Academy.
Science: We read a book about how water is recycled on earth and used over and over, so water that dinosaurs drank and Cleopatra cried is still around on earth today.
Social Studies: We read about how colonists traded for good and how goods were shipped among America, Europe, and Africa.
Character Strength: We are learning about zest and love of learning this week.
- Our next play practice is tomorrow until 5 pm! Students can stay until 6 if they would like to help with the set.
- Spring conferences are March 5-7. View, sign up or edit your time here.
- Our class is practicing and performing a play in March, called The Legend of Lightning Larry. Here is our practice schedule.
- Is your student doing a Daily Homework Time?
Here’sa sample schedule and more ideas to get started.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- The second marking period ends today.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.