March 5th, 2019
Spelling: None today due to working on our Leadership Notebooks.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due Fridays.
Reading: Today was a reading skills practice day with MobyMax Skills Literature and Informational.
Writing: We talked about writing balanced scenes that have some talking, action, and visual details in them. Students also worked on drafting. Each student has a daily word count goal of 150-350 words. Working a little each day will help students to finish on time.
The novel project is due Monday, April 1. Homework is work on writing for at least 15 minutes daily during the week. Your student should be
Novel Writing Project 2019
The final piece of the 3rd Marking Period will be our final fiction project of the year. Students will write and publish a novel. Each student will write their own novel, with a word goal minimum of 1,000-4,000 words, based on their reading level (each student’s minimum writing goal is equal to their reading level multiplied by 500). The novels will be written in Google Docs (docs.google.com) to make use of the word count feature. Final novels will be uploaded to Lulu.com and published as paperback books, which can be purchased for reasonable prices. So yes, students will actually write and publish their own novels. This project is based on the National Novel Writing Month Young Writers program.
Science: We completed roundtable discussions about how water drops form through condensation and evaporation.
Social Studies: We started learning about slavery in the American colonies.
Character Strength: We are learning about the #OtherPeopleMatter mindset this week.
- Please take this Parent Survey!
- Our next play practice is next Monday, March 11 until 5 pm!
- Spring conferences are this week, March 5-7. View, sign up or edit your time here.
- Our class play, The Legend of Lightning Larry, is Tuesday, March 19 at 6:30 pm. Here is our practice schedule.
- Is your student doing a Daily Homework Time? Here’s a sample
schedule andmore ideas to get started.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- The second marking period ends today.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.