September 3rd, 2019
Welcome! I’m looking forward to working with you and your student to make this a great year!
At the beginning of the year, most parents have questions about curriculum, procedures, policies, and ways to stay informed. Problem solved: check out this website!
Here you can find everything you need to know about the class, including ways to contact me, check grades, find out about procedures, see class photos, and check out student work.
You will also be contacted periodically by an automated phone message system. I’ll use this for class reminders in case you aren’t able to check the class website, or your student’s backpack ate the class notes!
There is a full list of school supplies at MrHowd.com/supplies. Your student will really only need pencils, pens, dry erase markers, a folder for take home papers, and two poly envelopes. I have the markers and envelopes in class for purchase, or you can get these at any office store.
Who’s in class?
Our class is made up of people with unique talents and experiences. We should have pride in that! So we can be proud and get to know each other, I’m giving students the opportunity to bring in three things that show who they are, to put up on our Pride Board. This board will end up looking like a scrapbook. Students can bring in anything that can be stapled to or hung on a board with pushpins, and that is reasonable in size. Photos, postcards, medals, etc. would be perfect.
Students will also be asked to decorate a writing portfolio with drawings and photos. So start digging up those photos now! I’ll send that folder home next week.
Friday, September 6, from 9 – 10:30 am, our class will participate in some team-building activities to start the new year. Parents are needed to help run the activities. Instructions will be provided. If you can help, please contact me or RSVP in the email you were sent. Thanks!
Today was filled with get-to-know-you activities and procedures. Here are some highlights:
- We played a game to share some news from the summer.
- Students took the Mr. Howd test; many failed (but one student said she got an A!). I told students that failure will often result from not preparing, but hard work is usually rewarded!
- We attended technology and music, and an assembly about the new year.
- Students received their planner. There are a few papers near that beginning that need student and parent signatures.
- Team Day is Friday, September 6 from 9 – 10:30 am. The class will be completing team-building activities in student groups. Can you help? Instructions will be provided!
- Here is the School Supply list
- Students will need a pair of earbuds this year. Something inexpensive will be fine. Earbuds are preferred over large headphones that are hard to store and usually more expensive to replace.
- Need to update your contact information or send in your email address or phone number? Do that here.
- Parents and family members, find out more information about our class here.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
- Things to do if you haven’t don’t them yet:
- More class information…