December 18th, 2019
Spelling: Today was our class spelling bee. Congratulations to Jaxon and Yousef, our class representatives! The building spelling bee is on January 8.
Cursive: Cursive pp. 42-44 are available and are due tomorrow.
Reading: Today was a reading day in Literature Circles.
Writing: Today, students continued to prewrite their Choose Your Own Adventure fiction gamebook. Students were prewriting a summary and a list of actions in the beginning, middle, and ending. In this project, students will write a fiction adventure story with choices that the reader can make. Each choice can change how the story turns out. Students will publish their adventure as a website at Google Sites. See below for more details. Homework on weekdays is to work on writing for 15 minutes. Students should finish prewriting tonight.
This project is due Wednesday, January 22. Some ideas and resources are below:
Choose Your Own Adventure Resources
- See examples of Choose Your Own Adventure fiction websites here and here.
- Here are some good student examples:
- Look at an Underground Railroad Choose Your Own Adventure website.
- Look through the Underground Railroad Interactive History Adventure book (hint: search for “the end” to see some of the endings of the book).
- Look at some examples of different kinds of endings in a Choose Your Own Adventure Story.
- View the titles of all the Choose Your Own Adventure books to get adventure topic ideas.
- Play Zork, a text-based computer game. Here is a list of commands and directions. Here is a map of the dungeon if you get stuck or lost.
- Play Oregon Trail, another text-based computer game.
- Find a complete list of resources here.
Math: None today.
Science: We used a simulation to model how a predator might use its vision to see markings on a prey, to tell if it is safe or toxic to eat. Homework is to finish notebook pp. 52-53 if not finished in class.
Social Studies: We reviewed the Bill of Rights and learned about how citizens have responsibilities, such as following the law, paying taxes, and voting.
Character Strength: We are learning about self-control this week.
- Our Mexican Fiesta is Friday, December 20 from 9 am until noon. Family members are welcome and needed for food preparation, set up and clean up in the morning during the party. Here is our volunteer and guest list. Family members, due to the limited size of our classroom and the amount of food we have, we are not able to accommodate younger siblings.
- Is your student doing a Daily Homework Time? Here’s a sample schedule and more ideas to get started.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.