March 5th, 2020
Spelling: None today due to the half day.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: Today was the Read-a-Thon fundraiser for our Mackinac trip.
Writing: We started drafting today. Each student has a daily word count goal of 100-300 words. This is easier to reach if students work at school and home. Check with your student and see how many words they have typed so far.
The novel project is due Wednesday, March 25. Homework is work on writing for at least 15 minutes daily during the week. Students should be finishing with prewriting and should be drafting the beginning of their story by now.
Novel Writing Project 2020
The final piece of the 3rd Marking Period will be our final fiction project of the year. Students will write and publish their own novel! Each student will write their own novel, with a word goal minimum of 1,000-3,000 words, based on their reading level (each student’s minimum writing goal is equal to their reading level multiplied by 500). The novels will be written in Google Docs (docs.google.com) to make use of the word count feature. Final novels will be uploaded to Lulu.com and published as paperback books, which can be purchased for reasonable prices. So yes, students will actually write and publish their own novels. This project is based on the National Novel Writing Month Young Writers program.
Science: None today due to the half day.
Social Studies: None today due to the half day.
Character Strength: We are learning about cheering for successes this week.
- Thanks for all the families that attended Celebration of Learning last night. We had 11 families attend.
- Learn more about the Zero Increase Bond and vote on May 5.
- Is your student doing a Daily Homework Time? Here’s a sample schedule and more ideas to get started.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at Jupiter Ed.
- Please send in remaining Mackinac donations and payments by Friday, April 17. Find more details about our Mackinac trip here.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.