March 10th, 2020
Spelling: We reviewed rules for adding suffixes onto base words.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: Today was a reading day in Literature Circles.
Writing: We talked about how to punctuate dialogue today, using quotation marks, commas, and periods.
Students also continued to draft their novel today. Students should have 40% of their word goal completed by tonight. The class average is 28%, meaning that several students are still behind about a day’s worth of work.
The novel project is due Wednesday, March 25. Homework is work on writing for at least 15 minutes daily during the week.
Novel Writing Project 2020
The final piece of the 3rd Marking Period will be our final fiction project of the year. Students will write and publish their own novel! Each student will write their own novel, with a word goal minimum of 1,000-3,000 words, based on their reading level (each student’s minimum writing goal is equal to their reading level multiplied by 500). The novels will be written in Google Docs (docs.google.com) to make use of the word count feature. Final novels will be uploaded to Lulu.com and published as paperback books, which can be purchased for reasonable prices. So yes, students will actually write and publish their own novels. This project is based on the National Novel Writing Month Young Writers program.
Science: We learned that amplitude is how high a wave is, and a higher amplitude creates a louder noise.
Social Studies: We wrote notes about the features of a market economy. We will have a MiniQuiz about this soon.
Character Strength: We are learning about social intelligence this week.
- Tomorrow is a Late Start Day. School starts at 11 am.
- Learn more about the Zero Increase Bond and vote on May 5.
- Is your student doing a Daily Homework Time? Here’s a sample schedule and more ideas to get started.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at Jupiter Ed.
- Please send in remaining Mackinac donations and payments by Friday, April 17. Find more details about our Mackinac trip here.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.