April 7th, 2006
Reading: Our final Literature Circles projects were presented today. Students will receive new Literature Circles books next week. We also read our Time for Kids magazine.
Language Arts: Students worked today on their piece of writing due April 13.
Spelling and Cursive: Today, we looked at words with suffixes, determined what rule was used to add the suffix, and spelled out the base words.
The Level Four Core Word list is an option for continued spelling practice. A spelling test will be next week.
Students also took a cursive quiz today.
Technology: Students completed the Student Satisfaction Survey today.
Math: Today, students worked in our Math Skills program.
Health: We discussed four kinds of control that influences our behavior choices: environment, authority, social norms and self-control.
Art: Students worked on pencil sketches of dragons today.
Character: Based on recent activities, it appears that several students in class are making poor character choices involving a lack of respect, responsibility, kindness, honesty or courage. This has come in the form of swearing, unkind notes, stealing, cheating, or fighting. Much of this behavior is done away from me, which leads to another poor character choice: insincerity.
I have informed the class that, starting after spring break, students making poor character choices will participate in a lunchtime character program to give them extra practice doing the right thing. Students will practice being kind, giving, responsible, or honest, by helping our school or community.
You’ll hear more about this program in the future; until then, ask your student if they have been participating in any of the above poor character choices.
- The PTO Goodies Factory fundraiser order forms and payments are due Monday, April 10
- Conferences are April 10-12; school days next week are half-days.
- Forgot when your conference is? View the conference schedule here.
- HELP WANTED: Mr. Keilitz is looking for parents willing to help with Field Day, which is at the end of May. If you are willing to help, please fill out the form here. Thanks!
- Mackinaw Fundraising Update: our class has raised $2,078, which is 77% of our goal. We have $622 remaining to reach our goal of $2,700. Visit our Straits of Mackinaw field trip page for the latest updates.
- Interested in going to Mackinaw? We still have three chaperone spots available for the trip. Fill out the form here if you would like to go.
- McGrath Family Cookbooks are now on sale. Copies can be purchased for $10 and all proceeds go towards our Mackinaw trip. Checks are payable to McGrath.