February 13th, 2007
Class activities for Tuesday, February 13
Spelling: Today we reviewed words that have multiple meanings (draw, run, play) and also the -er and -est suffixes for words. We will have a spelling test on Thursday. The unit 7 worksheets are available here and will be due next Tuesday.
Cursive: Cursive pp. 63-65 are available and will be due next week.
Reading: None today due to an assembly by Peaceful Authority.
Writing: We learned about a new type of lead today called a thinking lead. The author begins the piece of writing with a character thinking, which essentially sounds like dialogue that is just not spoken out loud. Students also prewrote for their next piece of writing, due March 2.
Math: Students took a math test over these concepts:
- metric measurement
- metric unit conversion (mm, cm and m)
- decimal addition and subtraction
- naming numbers as fractions and decimals
Science: We saw the colors of the spectrum (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet–ROYGBIV), and started a torn paper mosaic to illustrate the primary colors of light overlapping to form white light.
Social Studies: We sang a couple songs to review the first people of Michigan. Students also drew pictures, one for each of the Indian groups of Michigan. Homework is to finish the illustrations for each people, and to complete worksheet pp. 7 and 9. A test over the first people of Michigan will be on Thursday.
- Yellows: 0 magnets
- Oranges: 0 magnets
- Reds: 0 magnets
Ask your student what kind of choices they made.
- Feb Factor Valentine’s party this Wednesday from 2-4 pm!
- Juice Volunteers: A new volunteer list will be sent home soon.
- Upcoming Events: New writing piece due (March 2); Straits of Mackinaw field trip (May 11). See the class calendar for more information.
- We are looking for donations of medium and long cardboard tubes (have plenty of short ones, thanks!) for class projects. The tubes can be sent in any time during the year; this project will be on-going. Thanks for any help you can give!