March 27th, 2007
Spelling: Today we practiced using apostrophes in possessive nouns, such as Kayla’s first place science fair medal, and Cameron’s second place science fair medal (congratulations!). The unit 9 spelling worksheets are available here.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences of seven or more words each are due Friday.
Reading: Today was our first reading day of the new nonfiction Literature Circles cycle. Some groups practiced determining importance and connections as reading strategies.
Writing: Our new writing project, a nonfiction research piece was introduced. Students looked at different nonfiction books to get an idea on what this type of writing involves. We also talked about choosing narrow topics, and the format of the project, which will be a PowerPoint presentation. This project will be due on April 27, but will likely be presented on April 30.
Math: We started learning about division using a multiples of ten strategy. We also has a presentation on hygiene during this time from student nurses from UM-Flint.
Science: We learned that larger vibrations produce louder sounds, and smaller vibrations produce softer sounds. We also learned that sound sources produce sounds, and sound receivers recieve or “catch” sound.
Social Studies: We learned that the Native Americans attacked, but did not capture Fort Detroit. However, Native Americans were successful in capturing nine British forts during Pontiac’s Rebellion.
- Yellows: 3 magnets
- Oranges: 1 magnet
- Reds: 0 magnets
Ask your student what kind of choices they made.
- Juice Volunteers for Friday, March 30: David and Erin. Click here for a list of volunteers.
- Wizard of Oz play auditions are Tuesday, March 27 from 6:30-8:00 pm. A note of explanation was sent home Friday.
- Thank you to the nine chaperones who have volunteered for the Mackinaw trip. At this point, we have no more availability for additional chaperones. Spaces may open up as the trip gets closer.
- Spring Conference times are now available for April 2, 3 and 4! Sign up at the office windows.
- Upcoming Events: Read-a-thon Mackinaw Fundraser (March 30); Spring Conferences (April 2, 3 and 4); New writing piece due (April 27); Straits of Mackinaw field trip (May 11). See the class calendar for more information.
- We are looking for donations of medium and long cardboard tubes (have plenty of short ones, thanks!) for class projects. The tubes can be sent in any time during the year; this project will be on-going. Thanks for any help you can give!