October 9th, 2008
Spelling: We reviewed the common spelling patterns for the /k/ sound: k, ck, ch, qu, c
Cursive: Cursive pp. 24-26 are due Friday.
Reading: Students continued working on their Literature Circles projects to tell the class about their books. The projects will be shared on Friday. We also practiced looking back into the text to find answers to questions, trying to match up the words from the questions to the words in the text. This is an important skill on our weekly reading tests.
Writing: None today due to technology.
The next piece of writing, a personal narrative, will be due October 17. Students have been informed that writing pieces less than two pages in length (if handwritten) will probably not have enough information to help the reader understand the piece clearly.
Technology: Students took a STAR reading test and then started to set up their MrHowd.com email address.
Math: None today.
Science: We played a game to review for the sound science test coming up on Monday. The test will assess these concepts:
- high and low pitches
- how to change pitch with length, speed of vibrations and tension
- forms of energy
Social Studies: We continued to learn that the Northeast is famous for having four seasons, including a colorful fall. Homework is to finish the four seasons part of the SQ3R organizer.
- Yellow magnets: 3
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 18
- Hours with no orange magnets (record: 29):15
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- Bring a weird object tomorrow! We will be using a weird object in science class tomorrow!
- Schedule your Fall Parent Teacher Conference online now and avoid work and family schedule conflicts.
- View grades, assignments, attendance and even the report card at SnapGrades.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- Sign up for daily email updates, including activities, homework and important information.