February 11th, 2009
Spelling: None today due to working on writing in the computer lab.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due Fridays.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles. Some groups worked on questioning as a reading strategy.
Writing: This week, students are continuing to work on their Choose Your Own Adventure fiction stories, created on a website at sites.mrhowd.com. This story is due February 13. An example of the Choose Your Own Adventure genre can be found here and here.
Ask your student to show you their Choose Your Own Adventure story, and even click through their choices to see how the story is going! Students should be revising and editing by now.
Math: We practiced estimating (rounding) with decimals. Homework is to finish Journal p. 87 if not finished in class.
Science: None today due to extra time with writing in the computer lab.
Social Studies: We started a unit about the Underground Railroad by starting to listen to radio theatre Underground Railroad story and “escaping from slavery” on this website. I also gave students until tomorrow to complete their “I’m Talking Michigan” poem started yesterday.
- Yellow magnets: 1
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 1
- Hours with no yellow magnets (record: 58): 1
- Days with no orange magnets (record: 39): 24
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- Our Feb Factor Valentine’s Party is this Friday from 1:30 pm to the end of the day. Students have volunteered for food items to bring, including sloppy joe mix, buns, chips, and drink boxes. Click here to see the volunteer list and add your name if you are coming to the party.
- View grades, assignments, attendance and even the report card at SnapGrades.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- This week’s juice volunteers: Josh and Savanna