May 4th, 2009
Spelling: We learned common spelling patterns for the /oi/ sound: oi, oy.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due Fridays.
Reading: Students continued reading plays from their magazines to share with the class.
Writing: We began a unit on poetry by learning that poems have at least one of these “ingredients:”
- Imagery: sights, sounds, smells, etc.
- Music: a rhythm or beat, even if the poem does not rhyme.
- Emotion: happiness, sadness, fear, etc.
Students also began writing poems in class. Our next portfolio piece will be a collection of poems, due Friday, May 22.Math: We stared a unit on division today by dividing using multiples of ten. Homework is to finish Journal p. 148.
Science: We did an activity today to learn that the sun, if the size of a beach ball, would be a soccer field away from the earth, if the size of a pinky fingernail. Or, in other words, the sun is far away!
Social Studies: We learned about Pontiac’s Rebellion and started a SQ3R organizer.
- Yellow magnets: 0
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 0
- Hours with no yellow magnets (record: 58): 8
- Days with no orange magnets (record: 39; previous score: 3): 3
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- Our Mackinac Trip is May 8. Here is how our class is doing with fundraising and donations:
- Full paid: 19 students
- Mostly paid: 4 students
- Partially paid: 1 students
- No payments: 1 student
As shown to the right, our class has about $200 to reach our goal. We are currently accepting final donations.