May 27th, 2009
Spelling: None today.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due Fridays.
Reading: Today was a reading day in Literature Circles.
Writing: Students continued to plan their Find It, Decide It comparative information piece. Students will work in pairs to find information to make a decision (more information here). Today, students worked with their partner to develop their topic question and write notes. This final piece is due Friday, June 5.
Math: None today due to an extra time with science. We’ll have an extra math time tomorrow.
Science: We watched a presentation about the comparative sizes of the sun and other stars (some stars are 600 times larger than our sun!) and also about how scientists have discovered that earth seems uniquely suited for life and scientific discovery. Here is a summary of all the special factors needed for life to exist, and earth is the only place in the known universe that has them all:
Social Studies: We learned about how the Erie Canal brought people to Michigan and that pioneer life was difficult.
- Yellow magnets: 2
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 2
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 0
- Hours with no yellow magnets (record: 58): 2
- Days with no orange magnets (record: 39; previous score: 1): 5
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- Do you have a plan to keep your student learning over the summer? Check out the GRASP Summer Reading and Math program and other opportunities to make sure your student is ready for fifth grade!
- View grades, assignments, attendance and even the report card at SnapGrades.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- This week’s juice volunteers: Jared, Joseph