June 1st, 2009
Spelling: None today.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due Fridays.
Reading: Today was a reading day in Literature Circles.
Writing: Students continued to work on their Find It, Decide It comparative information piece. Students are working in pairs to find information to make a decision (more information here). Today, students worked in the computer lab to find information and develop their decision. This final piece is due Friday, June 5.
Our Borders Poetry Slam field trip is this Thursday. We are still looking for a few chaperones. Also, students have been notified that all students with original poetry will be welcome to attend this trip. Students will no poetry of their own will remain at school.
Math: We reviewed fractions of sets (1/2 of 20 = 10, 1/3 of 12 = 4, 2/3 of 12 = 8 ) and continued to use pattern blocks to make fractions. We also started to practice equivalent fractions (1/3 = 2/6 = 3/9). Homework is to finish Journal pp. 197, 198, and 207.
Science: Students completed an activity to see how much of the earth is covered with water. Homework is to finish the activity if not done in class.
Social Studies: We learned that Michigan used its natural resources (mining, logging, farming) to create manufacturing jobs (car factories, furniture factories, cereal factories) and immigrants from Europe helped work in these new factories. Homework was to research what happened on July 4, 1776.
- Yellow magnets: 1
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 1
- Hours with no yellow magnets (record: 58): 3
- Days with no orange magnets (record: 39; previous score: 1): 8
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- Do you have a plan to keep your student learning over the summer? Check out the GRASP Summer Reading and Math program and other opportunities to make sure your student is ready for fifth grade!
- View grades, assignments, attendance and even the report card at SnapGrades.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.