June 2nd, 2009
Spelling: None today.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due Fridays.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles.
Writing: Students continued to work on their Find It, Decide It comparative information piece. Students are working in pairs to find information to make a decision (more information here). Today, students worked in the computer lab to find information and develop their decision. This final piece is due Friday, June 5.
Our Borders Poetry Slam field trip is this Thursday. Students have been notified that all students with original poetry will be welcome to attend this trip. Students with no final, published poetry of their own will remain at school.
Math: We reviewed pattern blocks fractions. Students also started to complete the following tasks, and any unfinished at school are homework:
- Cut out fraction cards found at the back of Math Journal 2;
- Make a paper envelope in which to store the fraction cards, and tape the envelope into the Math Journal;
- Complete the fraction on the back of each card;
- Complete StudyLink 7.6 and 7.7 about equivalent fractions.
Science: Students completed an experiment about making a cloud activity. Students learned that a cloud is made of tiny droplets of liquid water.
Social Studies: None today.
- Yellow magnets: 1
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 2
- Hours with no yellow magnets (record: 58): 3
- Days with no orange magnets (record: 39; previous score: 1): 9
Check your student’s Personal and Social Growth grade at SnapGrades to see if your student moved their magnet.
- Do you have a plan to keep your student learning over the summer? Check out the GRASP Summer Reading and Math program and other opportunities to make sure your student is ready for fifth grade!
- View grades, assignments, attendance and even the report card at SnapGrades.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.