October 6th, 2009
Spelling: We reviewed common spelling patterns for the long i sound (-ind, -igh, i, y, and i-consonant-e).
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 35-37 are available and due Friday.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles.
Writing: We learned about writing interesting, spicy action verbs to describe the action and help the reader to picture the writing.
Today was also drafting/revising day. The next piece of writing, a personal narrative, will be due Friday, October 16. Students should be nearing the completion of their draft and be ready to start revising for the rest of this week.
Math: We reviewed for the geometry test on Thursday. The test will be about these ideas:
- Polygons (rules, names of common polygons)
- Types of triangles
- Rays, lines, line segments
- 3D figures, including names and how to count vertices, edges and faces
Social Studies: We wrote notes about the underground railroad in our minibooks and reviewed for tomorrow’s test over the underground railroad.
- Yellow magnets: 3
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 3
- Magnets moved this week: 3
- Would you like to volunteer for a class event? Download and print a volunteer information form (PDF).
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at SnapGrades.
- Tentative plans are being made for our Halloween party, which will be a Hawaiian Beach Bash! It looks like our party will be Friday, October 30 from 9:30 am until around noon. We will need some help coordinating food and donations. Would anyone like to help coordinate that? Just contact me and I can give you further information.
Every student in Room 130 leaves improved and prepared for 5th grade.