November 9th, 2009
Spelling: None today due to student’s getting new seats.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 21-23 are available and due Friday.
Reading: Today was a reading day in Literature Circles. Some groups worked on synthesizing as a reading strategy.
Writing: We reviewed the idea that all stories have characters, plot (usually a problem to solve), and setting. Students also spent some time prewriting about the characters, plot and setting of their next story.
The next piece of writing will be a fiction piece, due Monday, November 30.
Math: None today due to a practice for the fourth grade musical.
There will be a test tomorrow over these ideas:
- Data landmarks (minimum, maximum, range, mode, median)
- Bar graphs
- Reading and writing large numbers
Science: We reviewed the last experiment and took notes in our minibooks about the differences between mass and weight:
- Mass is measured with a balance by comparing an unknown object to a known mass.
- Weight is measured with a spring scale and is the force due to gravity. Mass does not depend on gravity.
- Weight changes with location, but mass does not.
Social Studies: None due to extra time with science.
- Yellow magnets: 0
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 0
- Need to make, change or check your Fall Parent Teacher Conference time? See here.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at SnapGrades.
Every student in Room 130 leaves improved and prepared for 5th grade.