November 10th, 2009
Spelling: We finished learning two more rules for capitalization:
- Capitalize titles of people, books and songs.
- Capitalize the names of days of the week, months, and holidays, but not seasons.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 21-23 are available and due Friday.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles. Some groups worked on questioning as a reading strategy.
Writing: We talked about making characters seem real by writing realistic dialogue, and making them act like real people.
The next piece of writing will be a fiction piece, due Monday, November 30. Students should be prewriting at this point.
Math: Students completed a math test over these ideas:
- Data landmarks (minimum, maximum, range, mode, median)
- Bar graphs
- Reading and writing large numbers
Science: None today due to extra time with science yesterday.
Social Studies: We continued to learn that immigrants and African Americans moved into Michigan during the 1900s to get jobs in factories, to escape poverty and to look for more freedom.
- Yellow magnets: 0
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 0
- The Fourth Grade Musical is Thursday, November 12 at 7:30 pm.
- Need to make, change or check your Fall Parent Teacher Conference time? See here.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at SnapGrades.
Every student in Room 130 leaves improved and prepared for 5th grade.