January 28th, 2010
Spelling: We reviewed dropping a silent e when adding suffixes that begin with a vowel (complete, completely, completing).
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 61, 62, and 64 are available and due Friday.
Reading: Two groups performed their Literature Circles plays today. The remaining groups will present tomorrow.
Choose Your Own Adventure Resources
- See examples of Choose Your Own Adventure fiction websites here and here
- Look through The Abominable Snowman Choose Your Own Adventure book (hint: search for “the end” to see some of the endings of the book)
- View the titles of all the Choose Your Own Adventure books to get adventure topic ideas
- Play Zork, a text-based computer came. Here is a list of commands and directions. Here is a map of the dungeon if you get stuck or lost.
Math: None today due to extra time with Science.
Science: We learned that metals are conductors of electricity, and non-metals are usually insulators. However, we did an experiment and noticed that graphite (carbon pencil lead) and salt water are also electrical conductors, even though they are not metals. Students also created electromagnets today and tested how the number of coils of the electromagnet affects its magnetic force.
Social Studies: None due to art.
- Yellow magnets: 2
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 3
- The second marking period ends Friday, January 29.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at SnapGrades.
Every student in Room 130 leaves improved and prepared for 5th grade.