May 4th, 2010
Spelling: Students made their Words to Learn list from words they missed on the last spelling test. This is your student’s custom spelling list for the next test.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles. Students also completed a Reading Mad Minute and fiction reading test.
Writing: We started a unit on poetry. Today, we read a few poems and noticed that poems have these ingredients:
- Imagery: senses or description of what things look or feel like
- Music: a rhythm or beat that makes the poem sound sing-songy or musical
- Emotion: a happy, sad or emotional tone
Poems do not need to have all the ingredients, but should include at least one. Students also started working on their own poems. A collection of poems is due into portfolios on Friday, May 21.
Math: Students completed a math test.
Science: None today due to extra time with writing.
Social Studies: We reviewed how supply and demand affect the price of goods and services. Homework is to finish highlighting and labeling an article about the supply and demand of video game systems.
- Yellow magnets: 1
- Orange magnets: 0
- Red magnets: 0
- STAR Awards: 0
- Magnets moved this week (goal: 10): 1
- I-Search Gallery (view our I-Search presentations)
- Our Mackinac Trip is Friday, May 14. Get more information here.
- Find more information about Summer School, including dates and payment options.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at SnapGrades.
Every student in Room 130 leaves improved and prepared for 5th grade.