January 11th, 2017
Spelling: Students completed a spelling and skill test today.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: Students worked on a STAR Reading test today.
Writing: Students continued to draft their adventure stories. The goal is to write a new webpage each time students write; there are six more writing sessions including home time and weekends. Ten pages/scenes would be a good minimum to plan for.
This project is due Tuesday, January 24. Some ideas and resources are below:
Choose Your Own Adventure Resources
- See examples of Choose Your Own Adventure fiction websites here and here.
- Here are some good student examples:
- Look at an Underground Railroad Choose Your Own Adventure website.
- Look through the Underground Railroad Interactive History Adventure book (hint: search for “the end” to see some of the endings of the book).
- Look at some examples of different kinds of endings in a Choose Your Own Adventure Story.
- View the titles of all the Choose Your Own Adventure books to get adventure topic ideas.
- Play Zork, a text-based computer game. Here is a list of commands and directions. Here is a map of the dungeon if you get stuck or lost.
- Play Oregon Trail, another text-based computer game.
Find a complete list of resources here.
Homework is to work on writing for at least 15 minutes. Your student should be drafting at this point.
Here are some Khan Academy topics to have complete by now:
Science: We read about the circulatory system and wrote notes in our notebooks.
Social Studies: None today due to our AR and reading skills practice time.
- Have you set a Daily Homework Time for your student? Consider 15 minutes of math, 15 minutes of writing, and 20 minutes of something else to make a brain smarter!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.