April 25th, 2017
Spelling: Today was a preview of upcoming spelling words.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles.
Writing: Students worked on revising today. Students will share their research as a digital presentation during our I-Search Conference on May 2. Homework is to continue revising slides for their presentation.
Recent skills we’ve worked on:
- Common denominators
- Add fractions with unlike denominators
- Subtract fractions with unlike denominators
Science: We learned about what causes seasons. Most students predicted that summer is warmer because earth is closer to the sun, and winter is warmer because earth is farther away. We tested this prediction with a computer simulation. According to the simulation, earth is farther from the sun during our summer, and closer to the sun during our winter. So it’s not distance that creates our seasons. Then we tested how the tilt of earth affects seasons. We learned that without a tilt, our temperature and daylight would be like spring all year long, but with a tilt, we have changing seasons. It’s the tilt of the earth that causes our seasons (we are tilted toward the sun in summer, and away from the sun in winter). Homework is to finish analysis questions 1-7 on p. 31.
Social Studies: We worked on a district social studies test about settlement.
- A Parent Math Lab class is scheduled for Thursday, April 27 from 6-7 pm. It’s free and will help provide tips for working with your student on math.
- Have you set a Daily Homework Time for your student? Consider 15 minutes of math, 15 minutes of writing, and 20 minutes of something else to make a brain smarter!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.