September 15th, 2017
Spelling: Students completed a spelling pretest today.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 1-3 were due today.
Reading: None today due to extra time with spelling and math.
Writing: Students created digital portfolios today to store and share their work.
Students also continued to type their draft today using Google Docs. I told students to write enough so that the reader understands the story. For this first piece, one-half page typed is the minimum. Anything less will probably leave the reader with a lot of questions.
Homework is to continue drafting for 15 minutes. Your student can access their writing by going to Google Docs on a computer, tablet or phone and signing in with their Grand Blanc email address and password.
A personal narrative is due Monday, September 25. Your student should be drafting at this point.
Decorated writing portfolios were due today. If your student didn’t turn theirs in, they can do so on Monday if they want theirs laminated.
Science: None today due to art.
The Energy Fair project is due Friday, September 29. Here are the Energy Fair directions.
Social Studies: We started to learn about the reasons why we have a government and what life would be like without one. Homework is to finish the Life Without Rules notepage started in class.
- We talked today about a Daily Homework Time. This is a daily (Monday through Thursday) time of 40 minutes for students to work on math, writing, math facts, cursive, or other homework. Maybe it’s right after school, or at 5 pm, or right after dinner. The idea is that your student is working each day on something to make them smarter. Here is a sample schedule and more ideas.
- Our BioBlitz field trip is Friday, September 22. We are looking for some chaperones.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- Sign up for a fall conference
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.