September 18th, 2017
Spelling: We reviewed long and short vowels today and we noticed that most long vowel words have two vowels in them (road, rode), but short vowel words usually have only one vowel (rad, rod).
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 4-6 are available and due Friday.
Reading: We read the Princess and the Pea to practice making predictions.
Writing: We talked about using details as proof in writing. For example, if a writer says there was a cool car. Prove it! Describe the car. Was it a fun party? Prove it! Tell about the games, decorations, and fun activities. Details help the writing become more believable to the reader.
Students also continued to draft their personal narrative in Google Docs. Homework is to continue drafting for 15 minutes. Your student can access their writing by going to Google Docs on a computer, tablet or phone and signing in with their Grand Blanc email address and password.
A personal narrative is due Monday, September 25. Your student should be almost finished with their draft at this point.
Math: We reviewed the idea that multiplication is repeated addition: 6 x 4 is the same as 6+6+6+6. Students also practiced math skills at Khan Academy today Homework is to practice math for 15 minutes using MobyMax or Khan Academy.
Science: Students completed an experiment that used picture models to compare the sizes of the earth and moon. Homework is to finish the Big Earth, Small Moon experiment if not finished in class.
The Energy Fair project is due Friday, September 29. Here are the Energy Fair directions.
Social Studies: Today was Constitution Day. We watched some SchoolHouse Rock videos about No More Kings and The Shot Heard ‘Round the World. Then we sang the Preamble to the Constitution to learn about the purpose of our government.
- We talked today about a Daily Homework Time. This is a daily (Monday through Thursday) time of 40 minutes for students to work on math, writing, math facts, cursive, or other homework. Maybe it’s right after school, or at 5 pm, or right after dinner. The idea is that your student is working each day on something to make them smarter. Here is a sample schedule and more ideas.
- Our BioBlitz field trip is Friday, September 22. We are looking for some chaperones.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- Sign up for a fall conference
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.