September 19th, 2017
Spelling: We practiced turning short vowel words into long vowel words by adding a second vowel to each word:
- got –> goat
- plan –> plane
- spin –> spine.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 4-6 are available and due Friday.
Reading: We read a story called the Dragon Problem and practiced predicting and inferring.
Writing: We talked more about using details as proof in writing.
Students also continued to draft their personal narrative in Google Docs. Homework is to finish drafting for 15 minutes. Your student can access their writing by going to Google Docs on a computer, tablet or phone and signing in with their Grand Blanc email address and password.
A personal narrative is due Monday, September 25. Your student should be finished with their draft tonight so that their narrative includes a beginning, middle, and ending.
Science: We reviewed our last experiment about the sizes of the earth and moon. We learned that the moon is about 4 times smaller than the earth.
The Energy Fair project is due Friday, September 29. Here are the Energy Fair directions.
Social Studies: We reviewed the note page about Life without Laws and remembered that our school, city and country would not be safe without laws.
- We talked today about a Daily Homework Time. This is a daily (Monday through Thursday) time of 40 minutes for students to work on math, writing, math facts, cursive, or other homework. Maybe it’s right after school, or at 5 pm, or right after dinner. The idea is that your student is working each day on something to make them smarter. Here is a sample schedule and more ideas.
- Our BioBlitz field trip is Friday, September 22. Students need to bring a sack lunch.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- Sign up for a fall conference
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.