September 20th, 2017
Spelling: We reviewed common spelling patterns for the long /o/ sound: o, oa, -old, o-consonant-e, ow.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 4-6 are available and due Monday.
Reading: We looked back at The Dragon Problem and practiced making predictions and finding the sequence of events.
Writing: We talked focusing just a short time in writing, focusing on the best part.
Students also started to revise their personal narrative by looking back at their writing to change words or ideas, add or remove parts, or to finish parts. Homework is to continue revising for 15 minutes.
A personal narrative is due Monday, September 25. Your student should be revising at this point.
Math: We practiced making arrays and skip counting to solve multiplication problems. Students also practiced math skills using MobyMax Math. Homework is to practice math for 15 minutes using MobyMax or Khan Academy.
Science: We read about features of the moon, including mountains, valleys, plains, and craters.
The Energy Fair project is due Friday, September 29. Here are the Energy Fair directions.
Social Studies: Today was a leader lesson reviewing the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and a self-checklist that each student completed assessing how well they are doing on the habits.
- We talked today about a Daily Homework Time. This is a daily (Monday through Thursday) time of 40 minutes for students to work on math, writing, math facts, cursive, or other homework. Maybe it’s right after school, or at 5 pm, or right after dinner. The idea is that your student is working each day on something to make them smarter. Here is a sample schedule and more ideas.
- Our BioBlitz field trip is Friday, September 22. Students need to bring a sack lunch.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- Sign up for a fall conference
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.