September 21st, 2017
Spelling: None today.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 4-6 are available and due Monday.
Reading: We read a story called The Princess and the Pizza and practiced making predictions and thinking about where good ideas come from. We also practiced the strategy of making questions from the text.
Writing: We talked about editing writing for spelling, capitals and sentence sense. Students also editing their personal narrative looking for corrections to make. Homework is to continue editing for 15 minutes.
A personal narrative is due Monday, September 25. Your student should be editing at this point, and your student should have about half a page. Some personal narratives in our class are quite short. This might be a good time to check with your student and see if they have been using their writing time wisely.
Math: We properties of multiplication today:
- commutative property: the numbers can be moved, 5 x 3 = 3 x 5
- identity property: anything multiplied by one is itself, 5 x 1 = 5
- zero property: anything multiplied by zero is zero, 5 x 0 = 0
Science: None today due to extra time with reading assessments.
The Energy Fair project is due Friday, September 29. Here are the Energy Fair directions.
Social Studies: We reviewed the Preamble to the Constitution today.
- Have you helped your student plan a Daily Homework Time? This is a daily (Monday through Thursday) time of 40 minutes for students to work on math, writing, math facts, cursive, or other homework. Maybe it’s right after school, or at 5 pm, or right after dinner. The idea is that your student is working each day on something to make them smarter. Here is a sample schedule and more ideas.
- Our BioBlitz field trip is Friday, September 22. Students need to bring a sack lunch.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- Sign up for a fall conference
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.