October 11th, 2017
Spelling: We reviewed common spelling patterns for the short /o/ sound: o, al, au, aw.
Cursive: Cursive worksheet pp. 13-15 are available and are due Friday.
Reading: We reviewed some reading strategies:
- Reread a text to find new information
- Look for cause (the reason why something happens) and effect (what happened) in writing
- Narrative nonfiction stories might have headings to explain the topics and speech balloons with important information
Today was also a reading day in Literature Circles.
Writing: We talked about breaking text into paragraphs when any of these “new” things happen:
- New characters
- New times
- New places
- New ideas or actions
- New speaker starts talking.
Students also completed editing conferences by making editing comments on a partner’s writing. A personal narrative is due Monday, October 16, and the minimum length is one page. Your student should be editing by now. Homework is to work on writing for 15 minutes.
Science: None today due to the late start schedule.
Social Studies: None today due to the late start schedule.
- The Reading page has recently been updated.
- Have you helped your student plan a Daily Homework Time? This is a daily (Monday through Thursday) time of 40 minutes for students to work on math, writing, math facts, cursive, or other homework. Maybe it’s right after school, or at 5 pm, or right after dinner. The idea is that your student is working each day on something to make them smarter. Here is a sample schedule and more ideas.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at Jupiter Ed.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.