March 7th, 2018
Spelling: None today due to the half-day schedule.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due Friday.
Reading: None today due to the half-day schedule.
Writing: Students worked on prewriting conferences for their novel. Students also started drafting. Each student has a daily writing goal of 100-400 words. The novel project is due Wednesday, March 28. Homework is work on writing for at least 15 minutes. Your student should be finished with prewriting and drafting by now.
Novel Writing Project 2018
The final piece of the 3rd Marking Period will be our final fiction project of the year. Students will write and publish a novel. Each student will write their own novel, with a word goal minimum of 1,000-4,000 words, based on their reading level (each student’s minimum writing goal is equal to their reading level multiplied by 500). The novels will be written in Google Docs (docs.google.com) to make use of the word count feature. Final novels will be uploaded to Lulu.com and published as paperback books, which can be purchased for reasonable prices. So yes, students will actually write and publish their own novels. This project is based on the National Novel Writing Month Young Writers program.
Science: None today due to art.
Social Studies: None today due to visiting the book fair.
- Spring conferences are March 6-8. View, edit, or sign up for a conference here.
- The Read-a-Thon Mackinac trip fundraiser is Friday, March 9. Donations go toward each student’s trip account. Students can bring a blanket, pillow, and snack.
- Have you helped your student plan a Daily Homework Time?
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at Jupiter Ed.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.