March 8th, 2018
Spelling: None today due to the half-day schedule.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due Friday.
Reading: None today due to the half-day schedule.
Writing: Students worked on drafting for their novel today. We reviewed correct punctuation for dialogue, using quotation marks and a comma for the speaker tag: “Like this,” said Mr. Howd. Each student has a daily writing goal of 100-400 words. Your student should be at 20% of their count by tonight. The novel project is due Wednesday, March 28. Homework is work on writing for at least 15 minutes.
Novel Writing Project 2018
The final piece of the 3rd Marking Period will be our final fiction project of the year. Students will write and publish a novel. Each student will write their own novel, with a word goal minimum of 1,000-4,000 words, based on their reading level (each student’s minimum writing goal is equal to their reading level multiplied by 500). The novels will be written in Google Docs (docs.google.com) to make use of the word count feature. Final novels will be uploaded to Lulu.com and published as paperback books, which can be purchased for reasonable prices. So yes, students will actually write and publish their own novels. This project is based on the National Novel Writing Month Young Writers program.
Math: We played two Multiplication Madness games today to practice multiplication facts. The tournament bracket is set and the semifinals and final will happen tomorrow! We also talked about canceling zeroes when dividing. Homework is to practice math for 15 minutes using MobyMax or Khan Academy.
Science: None today due to the half-day schedule.
Social Studies: None today due to the half-day schedule.
- Spring conferences are March 6-8. View, edit, or sign up for a conference here.
- The Read-a-Thon Mackinac trip fundraiser is Friday, March 9. Donations go toward each student’s trip account. Students can bring a blanket, pillow, and snack.
- Have you helped your student plan a Daily Homework Time?
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at Jupiter Ed.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.