September 13th, 2018
Spelling: We practiced spelling compound words today. We noticed that compound words at just two words stuck together. The trick is to spell the first word, then spell the second word right after the first. The spellings never change.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due Friday. This week’s assignment will be due next Friday. Looking for some cursive practice pages to kick start things? The Cursive page has some.
Reading: None today due to extra time with science.
Writing: We talked about focusing on a short time in a piece of writing. Instead of writing about a whole vacation, or even a whole day, focus on just a short time. Students that try to write about too much time end up leaving out important details. File this under: less is more.
Students also continued drafting their personal narrative today. Your student should be about half done with their draft at this point. With this first piece of writing, a half page is the suggested minimum, but students may need to write more to make the story feel finished. A personal narrative is due Monday, September 24. Homework is to continue drafting for 15 minutes.
Also, students are able to use their chromebook for writing even without an internet connection. To do this, your student will need to sign in, then search for Google Drive, using the search button or pressing the app drawer button in the corner of the screen.
Science: We finished a pretest about how to restore a damaged ecosystem. We also used a simulation to test what happens to an ecosystem when it gets out of balance by removing an organism.
Social Studies: We read a little about how the first American Indians migrated from Asia.
Character Strength: This week we are reviewing the #OtherPeopleMatter mindset this week. This is about five things:
- Look for the good in others.
- Know your words and actions affect others.
- Cheer for the success of others.
- Support others when they struggle.
- Give others your attention.
- MSTEP test reports were sent home today. Get that from your student and see how they did in math and reading!
- Chromebook insurance payments are due September 27.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
- Sign up for a fall conference.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.