September 12th, 2018
Spelling: Today was a preview of words that will show up on the upcoming spelling test. Here are the spelling words for the year. Each test will have 20 words from this list. See the Spelling page for more details on how spelling will work this year.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due Friday. This week’s assignment will be due next Friday. Looking for some cursive practice pages to kick start things? The Cursive page has some.
Reading: Today students completed a STAR Reading test.
Writing: We talked about focusing in writing. It’s too hard to write about a whole vacation or a long period of time. A writer can’t write about everything. The trick is to focus on the best part. For example, a student might want to write about Christmas break, but focus on the best part by zooming in on the best part: Christmas break –> New Year’s Day –> watching a movie at night –> the last 20 minutes of the moving when the ball is dropping. Focusing on the best part will let the writer spend their time and energy on the parts that matter most.
Students also started drafting their personal narrative today. Your student should have their draft started in Google Docs. Have them get their chromebook and show you what they have done so far. A personal narrative is due Monday, September 24. Homework is continue drafting for 15 minutes.
Science: We started a pretest about how to restore a damaged ecosystem.
Social Studies: None today due to extra writing.
Character Strength: This week we are reviewing the #OtherPeopleMatter mindset this week. This is about five things:
- Look for the good in others.
- Know your words and actions affect others.
- Cheer for the success of others.
- Support others when they struggle.
- Give others your attention.
- School Supply list
- Chromebook insurance payments are due September 27.
- Need to update your contact information or send in your email address or phone number? Do that here.
- Parents and family members, find out more information about our class here.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
- More class information…
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.