January 8th, 2019
Spelling: None today.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due Fridays.
Reading: We read a fantasy story about how students had to be resourceful to get out of a video game they were trapped in. Students also practiced reading skills using MobyMax Reading.
Writing: We continued to prewrite for our Choose Your Own Adventure fiction gamebook. Today, students used a tool called Bubbl.us. It allowed them to create bubbles of ideas and link them together to make a mind map. Students use the bubbles to plan the scenes of their story and the choices the reader can make
This project is due Wednesday, January 23. Homework on weekdays is to work on writing for 15 minutes. Students should finish their Bubbl.us mind map showing the events and choices of their story.
Choose Your Own Adventure Resources
- See examples of Choose Your Own Adventure fiction websites here and here.
- Here are some good student examples:
- Look at an Underground Railroad Choose Your Own Adventure website.
- Look through the Underground Railroad Interactive History Adventure book (hint: search for “the end” to see some of the endings of the book).
- Look at some examples of different kinds of endings in a Choose Your Own Adventure Story.
- View the titles of all the Choose Your Own Adventure books to get adventure topic ideas.
- Play Zork, a text-based computer game. Here is a list of commands and directions. Here is a map of the dungeon if you get stuck or lost.
- Play Oregon Trail, another text-based computer game.
- Find a complete list of resources here.
Science: We talked about our next science topic today and took a pre-reading quiz about water shortages.
Social Studies: We started our next lesson about how and why Pilgrims travelled to the New World to settle here.
Character Strength: We are learning about perseverance this week.
- Tomorrow is a late start day. School starts at 11 am.
- Is your student doing a Daily Homework Time?
Here’sa sample schedule and more ideas to get started.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.