January 17th, 2019
Spelling: Today was the McGrath Spelling Bee. Congratulations to our class representatives, James and Donald, who made it all the way to the last four participants. And Donald was the 5th grade champion!
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due Fridays.
Reading: None today due to a health and nutrition lesson.
Writing: Students continued to draft their adventure story, with the goal being to write at least a new scene each day.
This Choose Your Own Adventure fiction gamebook project is due Wednesday, January 23. Homework on weekdays is to work on writing for 15 minutes. Your student should be nearing at least 10 pages on their website.
Choose Your Own Adventure Resources
- Here are some good student examples:
- Look through the Underground Railroad Interactive History Adventure book (hint: search for “the end” to see some of the endings of the book).
- Look at some examples of different kinds of endings in a Choose Your Own Adventure Story.
- Play Zork, or Oregon Trail.
- Find a complete list of resources here.
Math: We practiced multi-digit division today, such as 5296 / 31. Our average class progress is 66%, but many students are behind that amount. We have a goal of 97% by January 25. Homework on weekdays is to practice math for 15 minutes using MobyMax or Khan Academy.
Science: We wrote a letter to our project city, East Ferris, about why they have
Social Studies: Students worked on a digital review and quiz about the Pilgrims and Puritans today and we started to learn about French settlements. Homework is to finish the digital review and quiz if not done in class.
Character Strength: We are learning about optimism this week.
- Is your student doing a Daily Homework Time?
Here’sa sample schedule and more ideas to get started.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- The second marking period ends on January 25.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.