September 11th, 2019
Spelling: None today.
Cursive: Cursive pp. 1-3 are available and due on Monday.
Reading: Today we practiced signing in to STAR Reading. We’ll take a STAR test this week.
Writing: We talked about focusing on the best time in writing. If a student wanted to write about Christmas break, they could focus on just New Year’s Eve, then they could focus more on just the time when the ball is dropping at the end of the night. Focusing on the best part makes writing easier and more interesting.
Students also worked more on their prewriting list and then started drafting sentences below their prewriting on the same Google Doc.
Our first piece of writing, a personal narrative, will be due Friday, September 20. Homework is to work on writing for 15 minutes. Your student should be drafting in sentences by now.
Math: We learned about the difference between a fixed mindset and a growth mindset. A fixed mindset says, “I’m stuck; this is how I am.” A growth mindset says, “I can get better if I keep working.” We’ll need a growth mindset this year in math to learn new things! Students also worked on MobyMax Fact Fluency and TestPrep Math today. Homework assignments this year in math will be to practice math for 15 minutes using MobyMax or Khan Academy.
Science: We learned more about our first topic by talking about canyons, rocky outcrops, and how water might change features of the earth.
Social Studies: Due to Patriot Day, we talked about the history of the September 11 events.
Character Strength: This week we are reviewing the #OtherPeopleMatter mindset this week. This is about five things:
- Look for the good in others.
- Know your words and actions affect others.
- Cheer for the success of others.
- Support others when they struggle.
- Give others your attention.
- If you want to order a new McGrath shirt or other spirit wear, do that here before midnight Thursday!
- No school this Friday; it’s Ally Partnership Day.
- Buy chromebook insurance for $25. Due by September 26. Here are more details about chromebook insurance.
- Parents and family members, find out more information about our class here.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.