September 12th, 2019
Spelling: We started a spelling pretest today.
Cursive: Cursive pp. 1-3 are available and due on Monday.
Reading: Students completed a STAR Reading test today.
Writing: Students created a digital writing portfolio folder in their Google Drive and shared with me. We’ll use this folder to organize our writing this year.
Students also worked more on the draft of their personal narrative. We talked about how this piece of writing should be about a half page long, at 12 point font. That would make this piece about 25 lines long. Most students still have a ways to go to get to that point.
Our first piece of writing, a personal narrative, will be due Friday, September 20. Homework is to work on writing for 15 minutes. Your student should be drafting by now and should be about halfway finished with their draft, which would be about 12 lines or so.
Math: We set class and personal goals about making progress with our first topic of place value. We also practiced using place value blocks to represent numbers. Homework is to practice math for 15 minutes using MobyMax or Khan Academy.
Science: We used a simulation to model how rivers and floods might affect earth’s features, carve out a canyon, and move sediment to new locations.
Social Studies: We finished talking about the history of the September 11 events.
Character Strength: This week we are reviewing the #OtherPeopleMatter mindset this week. This is about five things:
- Look for the good in others.
- Know your words and actions affect others.
- Cheer for the success of others.
- Support others when they struggle.
- Give others your attention.
- If you want to order a new McGrath shirt or other spirit wear, do that here before midnight tonight!
- No school this Friday; it’s Ally Partnership Day.
- Buying chromebook insurance for $25 can save you from a $50-200 repair bill if a screen breaks or a keyboard is damaged. Payments are due by September 26 and you can pay online. Here are more details about chromebook insurance.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.