November 6th, 2019
Spelling: None today.
Cursive: Cursive pp. 25, 26, 29 are available and are due Friday.
Reading: Students completed a STAR Reading test today. Here are our results so far this year:
Writing: We watched a video about how a baker was not prepared to bake cookies, and how terrible they turned out. This is like how a writer prepares in prewriting. If a writer takes time to “gather ingredients” during prewriting, by making a list of what will happen in the story, the story will turn out better and not “half-baked.”
Students also continued to work on their prewriting.
A fiction story is due Sunday, November 24. Homework on weekdays is to work on writing for 15 minutes. Your student should be finishing the end of their prewriting for the beginning, middle, and end of their fiction story.
Math: Today students paired up for “math coaching.” Students that mastered addition and subtraction skills coached students that were still struggling. There still nine students that haven’t mastered multi-digit subtraction skills. Ask your student to show you how they are doing with that skill.
Science: We used evidence to make a claim about why one canyon would be deeper than another. The evidence showed that if a canyon is older, or if the water was flowing faster, that could make a deeper canyon.
Social Studies: Students completed three MiniQuizzes about the topics we have learned about so far this year. If students want to make any corrections to improve their grades, they can relearn ideas from their minibook notes, their digital social studies text in Google Drive, or even a Google search. Students were asked to make corrections on paper, explaining why their new answers are correct. Homework is to make any needed corrections and to turn in tomorrow so there is time to add to this report card.
Character Strength: We are learning about bravery this week.
- Can your student stay after on Thursday, until 5 pm, to help decorate for our party?
- We are having a Hawaiian Beach Bash on Friday, November 8 from 12:30-3:30. Family members are invited to join us and help with the food and games! Here is our volunteer and guest list. We could use some parents to help with food and games on Friday. Add your name to the list if you can help.
- View your fall conference time online.
- Have you started a Daily Homework Time with your student? If homework causes tears or battles, or if you have had to deal with missing assignments or low grades, read more about Daily Homework Time and start one with your student. It will help!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.