January 15th, 2020
Spelling: Today was a preview of upcoming spelling words.
Cursive: Cursive pp. 48-50 are available and are due Friday.
Reading: We read a biography about someone that protested coal mining that caused pollution.
Writing: We looked at more scenes from adventure stories to notice how the endings were written and how the scenes were balanced with talking, action, and visual details.
Students continued drafting their Choose Your Own Adventure fiction gamebook. The goal is to write a new page every day, with a minimum of seven pages for this project. If a student writes one page at school and home each day, they will end up with 14 pages!
Homework on weekdays is to work on writing for 15 minutes. Students should be drafting their Google Site adventure story and should have at least seven pages completed by now.
This project is due Wednesday, January 22. Some ideas and resources are below:
Choose Your Own Adventure Resources
- Here are some good student examples:
- Look through the Underground Railroad Interactive History Adventure book (hint: search for “the end” to see some of the endings of the book).
- Look at some examples of different kinds of endings in a Choose Your Own Adventure Story.
- Find a complete list of resources here.
Math: Some students were working on finishing two-digit multiplication in MobyMax Math, and other were working on other topics. Homework on weekdays is to practice math for 15 minutes using MobyMax or Khan Academy.
Science: Today was a health and nutrition lesson.
Social Studies: We wrote more notes about writes being taken away and started looking at home to improve the government of a fictional country.
Character Strength: We are learning about prudence this week.
- No school on Monday January 30 and 27.
- Family Math and Science Night is January 30 from 5:30-7:00 pm. Lots of fun experiments, math games, and free hot dogs! Please come!
- Is your student doing a Daily Homework Time? Here’s a sample schedule and more ideas to get started.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.