March 3rd, 2020
Spelling: None today. We’ll be working on our leadership notebooks during spelling this week.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles.
Writing: We worked on prewriting for our next project, a novel:
Novel Writing Project 2020
The final piece of the 3rd Marking Period will be our final fiction project of the year. Students will write and publish their own novel! Each student will write their own novel, with a word goal minimum of 1,000-3,000 words, based on their reading level (each student’s minimum writing goal is equal to their reading level multiplied by 500). The novels will be written in Google Docs (docs.google.com) to make use of the word count feature. Final novels will be uploaded to Lulu.com and published as paperback books, which can be purchased for reasonable prices. So yes, students will actually write and publish their own novels. This project is based on the National Novel Writing Month Young Writers program.
The novel project is due Wednesday, March 25. Homework is work on writing for at least 15 minutes daily during the week. Your student should be prewriting the beginning, middle, and end of their novel by now.
Science: We used coins to model how particles collide to make a sound wave. Homework is to finish pp. 36-38 if not done in class.
Social Studies: We finished writing notes about market economies and students completed a prediction chart about what businesses might produce. Homework is to finish the Prediction Chart if not done in class.
Character Strength: We are learning about cheering for successes this week.
- Celebration of Learning is Wednesday, March 4 from 4:30-7:00 pm. Come see your student’s leadership notebook, writing portfolio, and tour the school!
- Spring conferences are March 3 and 5. Students with academic or behavior concerns may be asked to attend a conference. View, sign up or edit your conference time here.
- Is your student doing a Daily Homework Time? Here’s a sample schedule and more ideas to get started.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at Jupiter Ed.
- Please send in remaining Mackinac donations and payments by Friday, April 17. Find more details about our Mackinac trip here.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.