March 13th, 2020
See our Online School Agenda to see what we worked on today.
Spelling: None today.
Cursive: None until we return to school.
Reading: Today’s assignment was to practice reading with MobyMax Reading Stories, TestPrep Reading Skills Literature, and TestPrep Reading Skills Informational.
Writing: Today’s assignment was to continue drafting their novel today. Students should have 70% of their word goal completed by the end of the weekend.
The novel project is due Wednesday, March 25. Homework is to work on writing for at least 15 minutes daily during the week.
Novel Writing Project 2020
The final piece of the 3rd Marking Period will be our final fiction project of the year. Students will write and publish their own novel! Each student will write their own novel, with a word goal minimum of 1,000-3,000 words, based on their reading level (each student’s minimum writing goal is equal to their reading level multiplied by 500). The novels will be written in Google Docs (docs.google.com) to make use of the word count feature. Final novels will be uploaded to Lulu.com and published as paperback books, which can be purchased for reasonable prices. So yes, students will actually write and publish their own novels. This project is based on the National Novel Writing Month Young Writers program.
Math: Students used Khan Academy to practice the partial quotients method again today. I shared an example video on the Online School Agenda to help students. Homework on weekdays is to practice math for 15 minutes using MobyMax or Khan Academy.
Science: We reviewed amplitude using a discussion forum in Jupiter. Students that haven’t commented can find it in Jupiter Messages.
Social Studies: We reviewed economic ideas about supply, demand, price, and substitute goods using a Jupiter discussion forum.
Character Strength: We are learning about social intelligence this week.
- See our Online School Agenda to see what we worked on today. Make sure your student completes the work if they didn’t join us during the day.
- Learn more about the Zero Increase Bond and vote on May 5.
- Is your student doing a Daily Homework Time? Here’s a sample schedule and more ideas to get started.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at Jupiter Ed.
- Please send in remaining Mackinac donations and payments by Friday, April 17. Find more details about our Mackinac trip here.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.