March 16th, 2020
Reading: Today’s assignment was to practice reading with MobyMax Reading Stories and Foundational Reading. Reading is at 9:00 am daily.
Writing: Today’s assignment was to continue drafting their novel today. Students should have 80% of their word goal completed by the end of today. Twenty students worked on writing from home today! We work on writing at 1 pm daily.
The novel project is due Wednesday, March 25. Homework is to work on writing for at least 15 minutes daily during the week.
Novel Writing Project 2020
The final piece of the 3rd Marking Period will be our final fiction project of the year. Students will write and publish their own novel! Each student will write their own novel, with a word goal minimum of 1,000-3,000 words, based on their reading level (each student’s minimum writing goal is equal to their reading level multiplied by 500). The novels will be written in Google Docs (docs.google.com) to make use of the word count feature. Final novels will be uploaded to Lulu.com and published as paperback books, which can be purchased for reasonable prices. So yes, students will actually write and publish their own novels. This project is based on the National Novel Writing Month Young Writers program.
Math: We are using the next two weeks to work on a new topic: Plane Figures and geometry. We’ll come back to division later. Check the Online School Agenda for the skills we worked on and a tutorial video I made. We work on math at 11 am.
Science: We used a simulation and some videos to learn about wavelength. A short wavelength makes a high pitch, and a long wavelength makes a low pitch. Check the Online School Agenda for what we did, videos students could watch, and the notebook pages for students to complete. We work on science at 10 am.
Social Studies: We reviewed supply, demand, and price. Students could read along with me to a page of text about those ideas, and there was a note page to complete. Check the Online School Agenda for specifics. Social studies is at 10:30 daily.
- See our Online School Agenda to see what we worked on today. Make sure your student completes the work if they didn’t join us during the day. We work daily from 9 am to 2 pm.
- Learn more about the Zero Increase Bond and vote on May 5.
- Is your student doing a Daily Homework Time? Here’s a sample schedule and more ideas to get started.
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at Jupiter Ed.
- Please send in remaining Mackinac donations and payments by Friday, April 17. Find more details about our Mackinac trip here.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 5th grade.