October 19th, 2016
Spelling: None today. We used this time to practice checking grades online at JupiterGrades. Your student knows how to check their grades, so this is now something you could have your student do regularly at home as a way to grow in responsibility. You could also use this as an opportunity for your student to set goals about fixing missing assignments, correcting low stores, or about trying to reach the Honor Roll.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: Students previewed new Literature Circles books today.
Writing: Students worked on prewriting conferences today and also continued to prewrite for their personal narrative. Our last personal narrative will be due Monday, November 7; your student should be done prewriting at this point and ready to start their draft tonight or tomorrow. Homework is to work on writing for at least 15 minutes and to finish prewriting.
Math: We reviewed properties of multiplication today. Students continued to practice adding or subtracting decimals today using Khan Academy or MobyMax. Homework is to practice math for at least 15 minutes using MobyMax Math or Khan Academy and to finish decimal addition and subtraction skills. Here are some Khan Academy topics your students should be finished with this week:
Science: None today due to extra time with social studies.
Social Studies: We learned about how Portuguese sailors were the first from Europe to sail around Africa and reach India. They wanted to reach Asia to trade for spices and other riches. Homework is to finish the Lesson 1 key ideas, Got It? and online quiz found here.
- The Fall Harvest Family Night is October 27 from 6-8 pm.
- Our class Hawaiian Beach Bash party is Friday, November 4 from 9-noon.
- Have you set up a Daily Homework Time for your student? Consider 15 minutes of math, 15 minutes of writing, and 20 minutes of something else to make a brain smarter!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.