October 24th, 2016
Spelling: We practiced writing words with consonant blends, such as state and stood. The st in each is a blend.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: Today was a reading day in Literature Circles; some groups worked on making connections as a reading strategy.
Writing: We talked about organizing writing so that a story connects from beginning, to middle, to end, focusing just the best parts.
Students also worked on drafting their personal narrative. Our last personal narrative will be due Monday, November 7; your student should be nearing the end of their draft at this point (nearing at least a full page). Homework is to work on writing for at least 15 minutes.
Math: We practiced exponents today using a Khan Academy topic of articles and practices. Students also worked on math skills at Khan Academy or MobyMax. Homework is to practice math for at least 15 minutes using MobyMax Math or Khan Academy.
Here are some Khan Academy topics your students should be finished with this week:
Science: Students started working on an open-notebook quiz today and will finish it tomorrow.
Social Studies: We read about Hernan Cortes and his conquest of the Aztecs to get riches.
- The Fall Harvest Family Night is October 27 from 6-8 pm.
- Our class Hawaiian Beach Bash party is Friday, November 4 from 9-noon. Here’s our volunteer list.
- Have you set up a Daily Homework Time for your student? Consider 15 minutes of math, 15 minutes of writing, and 20 minutes of something else to make a brain smarter!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.