October 25th, 2016
Spelling: We practiced spelling compound words today. This will be the skill tested on tomorrow’s spelling test.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: Today was a discussion day in Literature Circles.
Writing: We reviewed the idea of adding inner story details to writing. Inner story includes the thoughts and feelings of a character that make them seem real.
Students also worked on drafting their personal narrative. Our last personal narrative will be due Monday, November 7; your student should be finished with their draft by tonight (at least a full page). Homework is to work on writing for at least 15 minutes and to finish drafting.
Math: We practiced the distributive property today using a Khan Academy topic of articles and practices. Students also worked on math skills at Khan Academy or MobyMax. Homework is to practice math for at least 15 minutes using MobyMax Math or Khan Academy.
Here are some Khan Academy topics your students should be finished with this week:
Science: None today.
Social Studies: We read about several other Spanish explorers who often searched for riches, but usually failed to find them. However, they were able to claim a lot of land for Spain.
- The Fall Harvest Family Night is October 27 from 6-8 pm.
- Fall conferences are November 15-17. View, edit, or sign up for conferences online.
- Our class Hawaiian Beach Bash party is Friday, November 4 from 9-noon. Here’s our volunteer list.
- Have you set up a Daily Homework Time for your student? Consider 15 minutes of math, 15 minutes of writing, and 20 minutes of something else to make a brain smarter!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.