November 16th, 2016
Spelling: We talked about how to use apostrophes for contractions, but not for possessive pronouns. The way to test this is to split apart the contraction and read it in a sentence:
- If it makes sense to say it is, use it’s, if not, use its.
- If it makes sense to say there is, use there’s, if not, use theirs.
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: None today due to the half day schedule.
Writing: We talked about writing with fresh language. Write using fresh, interesting new words and sentence styles, not using the same words the same way, or overusing words like “and” and “then.”
Students also worked on revising today. Our next piece of writing is a fiction narrative, due Monday, November 28. Homework is to work on writing for at least 15 minutes. Your student should be done with their draft by now and going back to the beginning, middle, and ending to look for ways to make the writing better.
Here are some Khan Academy topics your students should be finished with by now:
Science: None today due to the half day schedule.
Social Studies: None today due to the half day schedule.
- Fall conferences are this week, November 15-17. View your conferences time here.
- Students received a fundraiser packet for a new online shopping fundraiser our school is starting. This will raise money for school events and small trips, but not 5th Grade Camp.
- Have you set a Daily Homework Time for your student? Consider 15 minutes of math, 15 minutes of writing, and 20 minutes of something else to make a brain smarter!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.