January 31st, 2017
Spelling: We practiced understanding different meanings for the suffix -er:
- painter: person who paints
- stronger: more strong
- letter: part of the word
Cursive: Ten cursive sentences, seven or more words each, are due on Fridays.
Reading: Today was a final day for students to rehearse their monologue, focusing on reading aloud with speed, tone, accuracy and volume.
Writing: We talked about organizing evidence in a literary essay by time (first, second, third) or by character (one character, another character, a final character). Students also worked on prewriting their literary essay (here’s our example essay). A literary essay will be due Friday, February 10. Homework is to work on prewriting the essay for at least 15 minutes.
Here are some skills that should be leveled up at this point:
Science: We learned and wrote notes about the nervous system today.
- Our class will be performing a class play in March. Here are the after school class practice and performance times. Hopefully getting the schedule early will allow everyone to work out scheduling conflicts.
- Middle school course request sheets are due February 14.
- Have you set a Daily Homework Time for your student? Consider 15 minutes of math, 15 minutes of writing, and 20 minutes of something else to make a brain smarter!
- Check out our class calendar to stay up-to-date.
- View links to all the websites we use in class.
- View grades, assignments, and attendance at JupiterGrades.
All students in Room 130 will do their best and get ready for 6th grade.